Voluntary Carbon Market
VOLUNTARY CARBON MARKET
The voluntary carbon market has become an important tool in reducing our carbon footprint or offsetting greenhouse gas or GHG emissions that cannot be avoided or reduced. Our voluntary offsetting program is a beneficial incentive to strengthen your climate actions.
What is the voluntary carbon market?
The voluntary carbon credit market (VCM) is a mechanism that allows businesses and individuals to purchase carbon credits to offset their GHG emissions. The voluntary market is not managed by governments, but rather supervised by third-party programs (e.g., Verra, Gold Standard, American Carbon Registry, etc.).
The voluntary carbon market aims to encourage and finance actions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions while allowing companies and individuals to finance these reductions by offsetting their incompressible emissions. This market, therefore, makes it possible to recognize, control, exchange, and finance GHG reductions achieved voluntarily.
The different carbon markets
Regulated or compliance carbon markets:
These compliance markets are managed by governments and provinces according to a ‘Cap and Trade system that regulates carbon emissions.
Larger emitters are required to join, while other, smaller emitters can voluntarily join this regulated market.
Voluntary carbon markets:
These are managed by third-party programs in an incentive system based on voluntary and non-obligatory participation. GHG emitters receive revenue for GHG emission reductions or sequestrations achieved and verified by regulated protocols. This is the carrot. In Quebec, this market encourages the projects of small final GHG emitters (fewer than 25,000 tonnes of CO2e emitted per year). This represents the vast majority of Quebec organizations.
In Ontario, there is not (yet) a regulated carbon market. All Ontarian organizations are therefore eligible for the voluntary market.
How does the voluntary carbon market work?
- How it works: This carbon market works by allowing businesses and individuals to purchase voluntary credits that come from greenhouse gas emissions reduction and sequestration projects carried out by other entities. These projects may include initiatives such as energy efficiency and renewable energy projects.
- Verifying the carbon credits: Carbon credits must be verified by independent and accredited third parties to guarantee their quality and effectiveness. These third parties are known as Validation and Verification Bodies (VVBs). (Validation and Verification Bodies)
- Carbon neutrality: by purchasing quantified, serialized and verified GHG reductions, purchasers become the owners of the reductions purchased and can offset their residual and incompressible emissions from their activities.
- Synergy: The voluntary carbon market rewards and finances GHG reduction project developers and offers a solution for eco-responsible companies to achieve carbon neutrality or net zero, making climate action participatory and synergic.
The voluntary carbon market and its role in decarbonization
The voluntary carbon market encourages innovation and offers a flexible way for businesses and individuals to finance emissions reduction and/or removal projects, which can significantly contribute to the decarbonization of society.
- Giving value to the GHG reductions achieved: By setting a price and establishing a market for GHG reductions. Every climate action counts
- Democratizing access to carbon projects: For carbon reduction project developers, by providing access to climate finance. For buyers of carbon credits, by allowing them to support community-based projects, the installation of clean energy sources, or the reduction of residual materials
- Bringing together to accelerate: By bringing together companies that are reducing and offsetting their emissions in the same marketplace to promote their efforts and create synergies. Furthermore, voluntary carbon markets, unlike compliance markets, are open to all players in society, which makes a diversified, large-scale mobilization possible
- Climate realism: A complementary and ambitious tool to act against global warming in a fast, concrete, and large-scale manner.
- A transitional tool: The development of projects related to the green energy transition, such as the decarbonization of infrastructure and buildings, makes the voluntary carbon market a powerful transitional tool
- A complementary tool: The voluntary market for carbon credits is not a substitute for GHG reductions, but a supplement. It offers a complementary solution to offset the incompressible emissions of a business by financing carbon reduction projects outside the organization
- Going beyond the regulatory requirements: The efforts of greenhouse gas reducers who act voluntarily are measured, quantified, and valued
HOW CAN THE VOLUNTARY CARBON MARKET SUPPORT YOUR GOALS?
Qualify, quantify, verify and sell my corporate GHG reductions thanks to the market access we offer..
Buy high-quality, verified carbon credits to achieve carbon neutrality or net zero
Do you have customers who might be interested in accessing the voluntary market and buying or selling carbon credits?
3 considerable advantages of the voluntary carbon offset market
Our programs, such as the acquisition of voluntary carbon credits, offer many advantages from an economic, environmental, and social perspective.
Offset your GHG emissions
Carbon credits serve to finance sustainable development projects and support a prosperous low-carbon economy. Any climate action and carbon footprint reduction efforts have a social impact and a substantial potential for your business. Furthermore, carbon credits offer many other benefits:
- Enhanced employer brand and brand image
- Competitive advantages
- Informed spending
- New markets and financing
We can guide you in your carbon offset projects.
Anticipate upcoming carbon regulations
Carbon regulations have steadily tightened in recent years. Certainly, project developers are implementing carbon reduction initiatives within their organizations, orchestrating their decarbonization approach. This proactive strategy allows them to protect themselves against potential changes to the regulations established by governments or provinces.
At Will Solutions, we guarantee high-quality carbon credits related to a wide range of different programs:
- energy efficiency
- energy transition
- reduction and optimization of the management of residual materials
- transport optimization (ongoing project)
Stimulate innovation by encouraging research
In short, you contribute to the development of innovative solutions by encouraging the implementation of GHG reduction projects. In addition, you stimulate social levers such as the economic growth of developing countries (where carbon market projects are often carried out). Furthermore, society as a whole, from both a local and international perspective, benefits from significant gains:
- Clean technologies and sustainable management of residual materials
- Job creation and economic growth
- Real impact on the health, living environment, and well-being of local communities
Contribute now to the transition to a sustainable economy and the balance between the environmental, social, and economic spheres!